Cumbres Pass

Moderators: mark, scotthsu, Bob, Matt

rittersam

Cumbres Pass

Post by rittersam »

Hello all,

Looks like we're going to have a season! I know there's a bunch of folks on here who have scoped downhill lines in Cumbres Pass, and wondering if anyone would be willing to share/plan a trip to scope them out. I would think they'll be in after this weekend!

Thanks,
Sam
danshorb

Re: Cumbres Pass

Post by danshorb »

Hi Sam,
I've been up there several times. There's nothing super great or consistantly steep that's very accessible. and descents max out at about 600ft or so. That said, its good terrain for 'high danger' days because most of it will not slide, ever. Here's a map of some of the lines I've skied. Again, there's a reason Cumbres is popular with the XC ski crowd, so I don't want to get your hopes up about the skiing, but it has some fun days. I've also done some lines that may have accidentally been on the private land section too.
Here's a vid of one time we went up in "Extreme" (BLACK) Danger conditions: https://youtu.be/L7N2hBw4DQU
Attachments
Almost good skiing @Cumbres
Almost good skiing @Cumbres
cumbres1.JPG (314.39 KiB) Viewed 227 times
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
jpurcellrd

Post by jpurcellrd »

Hey Sam!

I agree with Dan! I would further add...

If your going for a day trip lapping the line off of Pinorealosa is pretty great fun. Lots of snow, and the snow mobiles can't make it back there. It's also probably the best bang for your buck as it is the most accessible for the vertical that you can get.

If your going to get a yurt there is a possible longer line out of the Grouse yurt. If you go up to Jarosa peak there is close to 2000 plus vert down to trujillo meadows. It's south facing however. I can't remember if it was treed.

Flat Mountain is my favorite yurt as it has some interesting skiing, but short.

Although the runs are short I really love the area for the solitude and abundance of snow. Last year I went up for a day trip and I was amazed that we were still skiing powder since the latest storm was 3 weeks prior. There definitely isn't much ski/board traffic up there.
rittersam

Post by rittersam »

Thank you both! I’ve done a bunch of trips to the yurts, and I too love the short shots and the solitude. My personal favorite is the ski from the Trujillo Meadows yurt down to the creek—and you can ski the other side if it’s stayed cold, too.

I think this gives me some solid day trip options—hoping to check it out and will manage my expectations for sure.

Sam
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

rittersam wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:01 am Thank you both! I’ve done a bunch of trips to the yurts, and I too love the short shots and the solitude. My personal favorite is the ski from the Trujillo Meadows yurt down to the creek—and you can ski the other side if it’s stayed cold, too.

I think this gives me some solid day trip options—hoping to check it out and will manage my expectations for sure.

Sam
Great Sam, I'll be interested in seeing what you get into up there.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance