Santa Fe Region

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

Dorman

Santa Fe Region

Post by Dorman »

Skinned inbounds yesterday (of course, avoiding any snowmaking areas). It was super sharky, but my base needs a grind anyhow. Here's what it looked like, and here's to a better than average season!

https://youtu.be/MbVU_jaFXYg
Bob

Re: Santa Fe Region

Post by Bob »

Nice vid! I have to admit I laughed a little when you bogged down at the beginning, but I cringed at a couple of those scrapes.

I’ve seen worse snowpacks this time of year...but I’ve seen a lot better too.
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

Is the Winsor skiable/slidable yet? :?:
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
sody

Post by sody »

I was up there yesterday and tonight to skin a few laps on manmade snow mostly... till it started dumping at hard when it got dark tonight. 3-4" by 7pm when I left the parking lot.

Windsor is probably still thin, but if that storm overnight produces, maybe doable, but only maybe
danshorb

Post by danshorb »

sody wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:24 pm I was up there yesterday and tonight to skin a few laps on manmade snow mostly... till it started dumping at hard when it got dark tonight. 3-4" by 7pm when I left the parking lot.

Windsor is probably still thin, but if that storm overnight produces, maybe doable, but only maybe
Thank you Sody.
The only two things you can truly depend on are Gravity and Greed. -Jack Palance
rittersam

Post by rittersam »

Toured up Aspen Vista Rd all the way to the radio towers. Coverage was good on the road and in the trees above “Stonehenge”—particularly on anything that had even a little north aspect.

Saw some tracks coming off south face of Deception Peak—looked like there was a group up on top around 1:00 or so.

Also, just saw this on the Taos Avalanche Center page: https://taosavalanchecenter.org/forecasts/#/blog/92120

We’re getting there!
sody

Post by sody »

With the surprise overnight storm and another 8" overnight, it is getting there.
sody

Post by sody »

Went up to skin in the area, not brave enough to venture out yet. From what I have seen on top at the radio towers, lots of wind scoured the open areas/alpine. I skied down south burn to see how it is in there. Coverage was good, but still thin. Hit a few rocks and some stumps sticking out. This makes me think that the backcountry is still quite the adventure skiing. Just not enough snow to cover the downed trees or rocks.
cmyk

Post by cmyk »

Got out on Thursday - skinned from aspen vista to the radio towers. Lots of wind loading on the top 1/4 made breaking trail a bit slow. Was debating going up deception and at least getting eyes on the nambe chutes, but decided against it. Conditions on skiers right of the resort are good, but a bit bony in the trees. Generally seems to have consolidated nicely - very hopeful for the next storm.

If anyone is keen for a scouting mission either out widsor or over deception over the holidays, let me know!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Whodunit_wheredasnow.jpg
Whodunit_wheredasnow.jpg (174.1 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
Dorman

Post by Dorman »

It took me a while to get something up showing conditions after the last storm. I smashed my knee really badly on an aspen during this trip and didn't really want to look at the footage. Big T still needs a lot of snow! I don't recommend going back there yet unless you dislike your skis/board or body. This is T3 just off of Aspen Vista 12-20-20.

https://youtu.be/0VeNZgSiAJA
jpurcellrd

Post by jpurcellrd »

Not particularly new news here but went out to Penitente on Monday. Little to no snow in the alpine on all aspects. We need a significant dump or a consistent weather pattern delivering moderate snow without wind to even think about skiing Nambe Chutes or likewise slopes. Both seem like pipe dream this winter...

The ridge wasn't as sketchy as past endeavors.

I am more cautiously optimistic about skiing some northerly facing protected trees this season. We still need 1-2 ft to ski safely IMO.

No pictures as it's just slightly improved from last picture on this thread.
Casey Tele

Post by Casey Tele »

Went out on a little tour Sunday up Ravens Ridge. North side had enough snow, but still very thin. Came back down the Winsor with skins on to protect my bases from all the rocks :shock: . Maybe storms Monday and Tuesday will bring in enough to explore the other aspects.
Get low and ski slow
sody

Post by sody »

Perfect day for resort skiing. Finally a storm to brag about. Today was very light and fluffy snow. Almost ran into another skier on Wizard following him, but not being able to see due to all the fluff thrown in the air.

I ventured in the trees a little just to see what is there. Even with this storm, I hit a lot of buried rocks and stumps. Also on the slopes. Don't let this much snow fool you, it is not very supportive yet. Some spots, where a lot of skiers went over, it the ground was showing. Let's hope this storm snow settles and is creating a more supportive base and we stop hitting all those sharks. Maybe after the next storm Heaven's hill may be an option.
jpurcellrd

Post by jpurcellrd »

Just did a quick dawn patrol up Lost Fork to check things out. As stated before the new snow is low density. I scraped logs, small trees, etc. but no rocks. The snowpack in the aspens was more supportable likely due to less canopy, and more solar exposure. The aspens had less snowpack however due to lower elevation. The skiing was pretty darn good at the highest elevations 11,500ft. There were a lot of settling, some cracks, and whumps that had preexisting snowpack. This is going to be a really tricky snowpack moving forward as some areas had preexisting snowpack and some areas had literally no snow until this last storm cycle. The new snow has not bonded well at all to the old snowpack. Although I was on the north eastern side of the Pecos Wilderness couple weeks ago the snowpack was unconsolidated mess which was likely the case around Santa Fe. To be honest it was the most nervous I have ever felt in the big t area. I got off my bearings a bit and were above some short steep sections leading down into a drainage which made me nervous due to the signs of instability.

Until it snows more maybe sticking to higher elevation aspen glades may hold the best skiing IMO. North facing side of raven's ridge maybe nice. If we get the forecasted amount of snow in the next week Lost Fork will be in a lot better condition. If it continues to snow I would stick to low angle terrain for a while.

On a side note I was up at Wolf Creek last weekend. I know that it was a powder day and northern Colorado isn't doing so hot with the snowpack, but we couldn't even find a parking area on the non motorized side. People were yelling at each other. Dogs almost got hit by cars, and there were two police cars just directing parking in the motorized parking lot at the top of the pass. It was completely full! We are so lucky to live in the land of manana. I've never once experienced a BC day like that here. There was one other ski track on Lost Fork (maybe because no one else is as dumb as me) that is a highly accessible 1600ft vert ski run! All I can say is we are LUCKY! We may have to wait for snow, but IMO opinion it's a lot better than dealing with that crazy mess to the north!