Santa Fe Region

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

jpurcellrd

Re: Santa Fe Region

Post by jpurcellrd »

https://taosavalanchecenter.org/public- ... io-towers/

This supports my observations from yesterday. Be careful out there. I guess I didn't realize we could submit observations from the Santa Fe area. Good to know!
Marc

Post by Marc »

That’s interesting, but I’m wondering why anybody would be in the watershed?
jpurcellrd

Post by jpurcellrd »

https://taosavalanchecenter.org/public- ... mbe-trail/

I just submitted this. We came across it yesterday. There were multiple ski tracks, snow shoe tracks, and cross country ski tracks so it could have been anyone or animal for that matter. I've always wondered if this slope would go. Has anyone else seen this go before?

Also, we saw a point release avalanche from the top of heavens. It was on the NE facing side. If my memory serves me right it is called the rock gardens. I have seen this avalanche before. I didn't take any pictures of it.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Oye huevones!

How about some reports on height of snow across the Santa Fe zone, and height of storm snow for any events to come? This would be incredibly valuable information being that the Ski Santa Fe snow report is heavily biased and the Santa Fe Snotel appears to be down since 2021-01-01.

If you need some lessons read up here:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... _Web+2.pdf

Centimeters please.
Locations representative of the zone on various aspects and elevation bands.
Not wind loaded and not wind scoured.
A range of values is acceptable and encouraged.

Bueno relleno,
Jasper
Go when the going is good.
cushionnn

Post by cushionnn »

@Jasper . . . Got a few snow depth measurements on the Heaven's tour today. Valentime's storm delivered some lovely goods, more at higher elevations. Lots of snow blowing around up high in the sky. New light storm snow didn't seem very consolidated on Heaven's, and made for some delightful turns.

Raven's Ridge / SW Aspect / 10500ft : 54cm (35.79957, -105.80003)
Raven's Ridge / N Aspect / 10900ft : 72cm (35.80662, -105.79084)
Winsor Tr. / NW Aspect / 105000ft : 74cm (35.81329, -105.77850)
Heaven's / N Aspect / 12000ft : 91cm (35.80286, -105.77281)

Juntamos bien soon vato!
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Booya.

Super helpful information from cushionnn.

For me, observations that go into layer madness and snowpack tests are lost. Now, from 3500miles away, and a hope of being in the 505 before March, I've got a pretty good idea of what is going on. Skiing is well within reason from summit to parking lot, rocks and stumps are a hazard, aspect choice exists, we likely have a persistent slab problem that will continue to worsen, a human can affect all layers of the current snowpack, ski quality esta good, and I will likely be avoiding avalanche terrain for the foreseeable future.

Skiing something soon something fierce.
Go when the going is good.
fmarrs3

Post by fmarrs3 »

91cm on Heaven's Hill!!
jpurcellrd

Post by jpurcellrd »

I think he meant 9.1 cm on heavens. It's terrible. Don't go.
Dorman

Post by Dorman »

We toured the Santa Fe backcountry on Sunday. The approach to Heaven's hill on the knife ridge is super wind scoured and it doesn't look ridable down to the saddle. Nambe still looks boney. I don't have any sciencey data for you. Here's some pics and a video. Don't judge too harshly. We were exploring. Things definitely didn't go as planned and I'm just coming off an injury, so... safety turns in a situation that was honestly not so safe.

https://youtu.be/ZfEuOCWx9cM
Attachments
Looking at the Nambe Cirque from the South
Looking at the Nambe Cirque from the South
Nambe Cirque.png (1.95 MiB) Viewed 2511 times
Lake Peak from Heaven's Hill
Lake Peak from Heaven's Hill
Lake Peak.JPG (207.1 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
christenerowicz

Post by christenerowicz »

How were snow levels within Heavens Hill? Planning on a tour there tomorrow.
christenerowicz

Post by christenerowicz »

Skiing was pretty fun on Heavens Hill 2/28 - took the Windsor approach to the bottom and then picked a track up. As my partner and I had not been there before, I do not think we went as high up as we could have gone. Don't think it was anywhere near 91cm but there were certainly some great powder turns in the trees to be found in the northerly run pointing straight at Baldy. On return we headed up Ravens Ridge to the treeline below Deception and then out through the ski area. Great day.
Last edited by christenerowicz on Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpurcellrd

Post by jpurcellrd »

We did a fantastic tour out to SF Baldy. The north facing trees had great snow conditions. On the way out we skied the south face of SF Baldy and was petty good when it softened up. There were some previous ski tracks. My guess is that it maybe even better with these upcoming warmer days. If we don't get snow you may want to hit this up sooner than later if its been on your tick list. I don't know how much longer the snow will hold up for continuous run back to the winsor.

Side note: My friend accidently let his Black Diamond Blue climbing helmet drop into the southern most bowl. If you are down there and pick it up I can get it back to it's rightful owner. I will go out there when conditions permit to ski it and look for it or this summer.
Attachments
IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG (3.05 MiB) Viewed 1977 times
IMG_1046.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG (2.56 MiB) Viewed 1977 times
IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1042.JPG (2.67 MiB) Viewed 1977 times
sody

Post by sody »

Goal was to ski Baldy today. It was warm and felt more like April than March today, We decided for the Deception peak to Lake route and then take take the couloir of half way between Lake and Penintente. Not enough snow to ski, lots of rock bands sticking out. Headed further and skied a west facing aspect from the far saddle of Penintente into the bowl. Was not too bad. North facing trees had soft snow but with the warm temperatures, and the snow disappearing, all the dead fall is becoming a hazard, so are just under the surface rocks. Traversed over to South slopes of Baldy. Skinable to the first false summit (and skiable). Past that not enough continues snow on ridge to the summit. Some other group of 2 was over there today too. We saw the tracks, heard them, but never ran into them. Timed the decent perfectly with with wind/suncrust softening up AT, NT was turning into corn and BT was still cornish and not mashed potatoes. However there are sections lower down that are melting out quickly as jpurcellrd noted. Windsor to wilderness gate has still good coverage, but from gate to parking lot, is melting out. So is the field under the powerlines. Had to take off skis on Windsor and it was scary getting back to parking lot. Like said above, it was very warm today. Not going to stick around for long. Snow depth on all elevations vary from 0cm to up to 80cm. Quite the range for March.

Some sign of old slide of the first W facing shot off of Baldy that drops you just below windy saddle. Hard to tell when it happened with the recent snow, wind and temperatures. At least 3-4 days old. The shots of Baldy look like a big wind slab on top (my guess is that what the avalanche was about too). Didn't take a picture, since we were more distracted by the large herd of big horn sheep.
jpurcellrd

Post by jpurcellrd »

Has anyone been out in the past couple of days? Conditions?
fmarrs3

Post by fmarrs3 »

Anyone have eyes on Nambe Cirque and/or bowls off Santa Fe baldy? Satellite images look good but not sure how much I can trust them!