Jicarita

For more general backcountry snow talk that might not fit into the other forums.

Moderators: scotthsu, Bob, Matt, mark

jpurcellrd

Jicarita

Post by jpurcellrd »

Does anyone know if there is a gate and if it is locked during the winter leading up to Serpent Lake Trailhead to access Jicarita?

Does anyone know if the road leading to Santa Barbara is locked during the winter as well?

Thanks!
Dorman

Re: Jicarita

Post by Dorman »

Call the forest service, Camino Real Ranger District 575.587.2255. The forest service has always given me accurate information regarding road closures. Although, I've never called this district.
jpurcellrd

Post by jpurcellrd »

Thanks Dorman,

I had a hard time getting a hold of anyone. Their office is closed and they return messages periodically.

Anyways, we went none the less. For future reference the gate is locked where 161 starts from the pavement. The gates are locked January 1-May 1.

Little to no snow in the alpine. 2-3 feet of snow in the trees between 11,000-12,000 ft. We need ALOT of snow to be thinking about skiing up high!
daedalus

Post by daedalus »

Any sense of how Jicarita fared after the big storms in March? Driving through Peñasco the mountains looked snowy from a distance, but embarrassingly I'm not sure if I was looking at Jicarita or Jicarilla...
jpurcellrd

Post by jpurcellrd »

I don't frequent that area to often so I can't say for sure. If you look at opensnow maps overlay it looks like the NE side of the Pecos Wilderness has faired the best as far as snow depth for the Pecos. It looks like there is more snow in that area than the western(Truchas) and southern side (SF). When I went out there in January there was a larger snow pack then the rest of the Pecos. I just saw a post from Taos avalanche center that the snow pack is quickly detreating and it looks like we have lost close to 20% of the snow pack in the past 10 days or since the big storms in March. I'm not sure what that means for riding in the area.

Just an FYI: The gate opens May 1. With the gate locked it's approximately 21 miles round trip to Jicarita and back. You could probably ride your bike up to the TH which would take 10 some odd miles off of the total.

You could have been looking at both, but it was probably Jicarita as it's a big broad mountain that dominates the skyline.

Let us know how it is!! I've always wanted to ski those big bowls!